Big Bamboo Blog

Bamboo, The Environmentally Friendly Packaging Solution Directly From Nature

Renewable, locally available and biodegradable

Paper and plastic are the most common packaging options, but they are far from the only ones. We have taken a decisive pioneering role in the use of bamboo to protect certain equipment. This giant representative of the grass family, from which innumerable products can be produced from food to flooring, now also provides sustainable packaging solutions. We use them to cushion some of the lightweight products.

Why bamboo?

Bamboo packaging pollutes the environment less and creates a healthier environment. Here are some reasons for Dell’s bamboo packaging:

  • Bamboo is locally available: The bamboo plants that we use for our packaging grow around the facilities where our products are made. This reduces our packaging carbon footprint.
  • Bamboo grows fast: Bamboo grasses are the fastest growing woody plants in the world. They can grow up to almost 61 cm (24 inches) per day. The bamboo can be harvested after just three to seven days – much faster than hardwood. Therefore, bamboo is highly renewable and an ideal alternative to foams, corrugated board, and molded paper fiber materials.
  • Bamboo is durable and sturdy: Like steel, bamboo can withstand heavy loads and can be stretched and pulled enormously, making it ideal for boat and scaffolding applications as well as other tasks that require strength and flexibility. Thanks to this resilience, we know that your technology devices are in good hands in bamboo packaging.
  • Bamboo is environmentally friendly: Bamboo plants promote soil health. The deep root systems protect the soil from erosion. In a crop-friendly harvest, bamboo must not be replanted afterward. In addition, Dell’s bamboo packaging is biodegradable and can be composted after use.

The bamboo plants that we use for our packaging grow around the facilities where our products are made. This reduces our packaging carbon footprint.

Responsible Materials

Sustainability is at the heart of all processes involved in bamboo production. After harvesting, the bamboo plants are mechanically processed into pulp in a nearby facility. During this process, 70 percent of the water is captured and recirculated. The remaining 30 percent are lost as water vapor. Nothing is drained into the ground and no toxic chemicals are used. In sunshine, the pulp is dried in the sun, which in turn lowers power consumption.

The demand for bamboo is increasing, as others have recognized the value, but we will continue to use it for certain product packaging.

Recycling or composting

Amongst other things, the added value of our bamboo cushion is that it can be easily recycled in most recycling programs on site. In addition, the Dell bamboo packaging has been certified for compostability by an independent test laboratory to ASTM International standards. This certification ensures that the bamboo material will disintegrate in a timely manner into compost that is comparable to other compostable materials.

Because of the high quality fiber and the great willingness to accept the upholstery material in the US as recyclable, as a reminder that they can recycle the bamboo packaging in many communities, we add the easily recognizable “circular arrows” to our customers.

Off in the compost

In addition to their eco-friendly features, Dell’s bamboo packaging is certified for compostability by an independent testing laboratory to ASTM International standards. This certification ensures that the bamboo material dissolves satisfactorily into compost and biodegrades in a timely manner comparable to other compostable materials. It also ensures that the compost obtained from the degradation process is of good quality and suitable for plant growth.

Related Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *